Observations from Afar

Monday, July 31

Tour de Heaven

My brother told me a funny story about his wife's brother. Apparently, he is quite the bicycle enthusiast, and he especially likes mountain bikes. Well, he was entered into a certain mountain bike race somewhere out West, and just before the start of the race, when all the mass of riders were poised and ready at the starting line, one rider made his way through the crowd next to my brother's brother-in-law. After careful examination, he realized that the rider was Lance Armstrong.

I am not a big fan of cycling, but I have to admit that living in Louisville has made me take note of the sport more. This is primarily the case due to the astronomical amount of bicyclers in this city. They are everywhere! And since moving here four years ago, I have noticed that there are all different types of cyclists. There are the recreational cyclists - those just out to have a good time and enjoying the outdoors. There are the fitness cyclists who aren't fit - they are usually on weird style bikes, like the one that has the seat with the back rest thingy or the two-person bike. There are the fitness cyclists - they actually ride for fitness, which explains why they ride their bikes to work, even on Shelbyville Road during rush hour. There are the family friendly bicyclists - easily identified by the large amount of protective gear and bright orange on each member of the family, even the baby. There are the Non-family friendly cyclists - these are the ones who choose to do 128 laps around Seneca Park to enjoy the "scenery." There are the wannabees - these are easily identified by their stylish jerseys, fancy helmets, and blatant disregard for anyone else on the road or sidewalk. Then there are the serious wannabees. These are just like the wannabees, but actually know something about the sport and occasionally compete in racing events. The key to telling these last two apart is that the wannabees always ride with other wannabees, and they are usually in pack formation.

If I had to put myself in one of these categories, I would be a fitness cyclists. However, I would wear regular work-out attire, opting out of the spandex and brightly colored shirt. Not that there is anything wrong with that, its just not me. I'm a fairly even keel kind of guy, and I hope to avoid either extreme. That goes for life as well as cycling. The more I thik about it, though, the more I realize just how similar Christianity and Louisville cycling really are. Christians generally fall into one of these categories - the recreational, "not too serious" ones, the ones doing it for their "health" and dislike for eternal damnation, the ones who are just there with or because of their family, the ones who go to church to find a date or future spouse, the ones who really only look the part, and then there are the ones who take this Christianity thing very seriously, the super wannabees. Maybe they even go on a mission trip or teach a Bible study.

In my Christian walk, I admit that a lot of times I am just a wannabee. I can look the part and say all the right things, but deep down the true commitment just isn't there. Wannabees don't ride in the rain or when its too hot or on the weekend. They are constantly trying the new fad product that promises better results with less effort. They are more concerned with how they appear rather than the end result. I know this because I often find myself acting this way.

I don't have the secret answer to solve this problem. I barely know about myself, let alone other people. But there is one thing that I have found that is helpful for me: focus on Christ. When I am focused on Christ, it is impossible to compare myself to others. When my brother's brother-in-law raced along side of Lance Armstrong (or, more correctly, behind and several laps down), he found out just how good he wasn't and how good Lance is. When I am focused on Christ, I can't see the latest and greatest miracle philosophy promising victory and harvest - I see the cross and the ultimate sacrifice. When I am focused on Christ, I see a world in need, not a world of needs. Christ is the ultimate Standard, the ultimate Champion. Nothing nor no one can compare to Him, and it is by His rule that we are to judge our lives. It is this that keeps me humbly aware of my low position along side all of humanity. I am no better than anyone else on this planet, no matter how eloquent or ruggedly good looking I may be. When I am in the company of Christ, I am revealed for what I really am: helpless and weak, tired and poor. There is no mountain stage where I can pull ahead and separate myself from the others. We ae all equally sinful and dirty.

But thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ, we have received all power and majesty and authority under heaven. We can boldly and triumphantly run the race set before us and boldly and confidently come to the throne of Grace. Because of Christ, I am assured a "yellow jersey," a victory lap through the gold streets of Heaven. You know, I don't understand all there is to know about Christ and my salvation, but I surely don't understand how someone can make it through life without the aid of a Savior.
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

1 Comments:

  • iwhey how did you get so smart? i really enjoy this. keep up the good work . i love you soooo much. talk to you later .mom.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home