Observations from Afar

Monday, July 3

Step by Step


This weekend marks the four year anniversary of our move to Louisville. It is actually hard to believe that four years could go by so quickly and bring about so much change. In fact, looking back at our lives and the experiences we have collected, it seems as though it really has been twice as long. We have gone through the proverbial dark valleys and seen the mountain tops. We've been dirt poor and experienced what it's like to have a few extra dollars. There were times when we felt we were on the right path, as well as times when we wondered if there were even a path at all. We've felt hurt and lost sight of the things that matter. We've laughed so hard we cried, and felt the warmth of happiness on our faces. We've experienced the birth of a child. We've chased dreams. We dreamed new ones. We've been humbled and learned to pick up the pieces and live on. The sun has set on heavy hearts, only to bring peace with the sunrise.
I have always believed that it was God's will for us to move here. Even though I haven't always understood His plan and His reasons (and still don't!), I have maintained my trust that this is where He wanted us to be. Just the other day, as I was doing some yard work and listening to my ipod, I began listening to Michael W. Smith's "Worship Again" album. That album holds special significance to me because I'm on it. No, you can't hear me, but I was part of the audience that night as they recorded the live worship CD. The concert took place at Southeast Christian Church just after we had moved. I remember it like it were yesterday. The concert started around 7:00, and people had been waiting in line to get in since early that morning. I and my wife and her sister and my best friend arrived at the church around 5:30 to see a line of people that snaked around the inside of the building several times. Discouraged, we joined the back of the line and began to wait. The doors didn't open for another 30 minutes, which was plenty of time for me to hatch a plan. To make a long story short, I used my cat-like reflexes and opportunistic instincts to secure four seats on the main floor about 10 rows from the stage. It was a thing of beauty, a memory I will cherish forever. But, to return to the point of this story, as I listened to the album, I smiled as I always do when the first song begins: "Hello, Louisville, Kentucky!" And as I was listening and singing along in my head, I realized that it had been four years since we moved and since this concert. And then, in light of all that had happened the past six months, the song took on such poignant significance. The last months have been some of the most difficult and most trying times of my life, and this song spoke to me in such a powerful and encouraging way. As I listened, I felt the presence of Christ.
Through all the pain and hardship, heartache and sorrow, I know that I have grown. Step by step, I have tried to follow the calling of Christ in my life. I have attempted to draw close to Him, and, through it all, I have realized more fully the love of Christ. He has been constant - a rock in times of change and "a firm foundation." He has brought us through the storms, even calming a few when we thought we were going to drown. He has blessed me though I did not deserve it. He has honored my attempts to discern His will and do His work. Though I could not always see Him, He was there. He is here now. Right by my side, comforting, encouraging, strengthening, and healing. He sustains me. He loves me. And that is why I will continue to follow Him. Step by step, wherever He will lead. And forever I will sing.
Oh God, You are my God
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You

Oh God, You are my God
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You

I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And Step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

Halleujah!
We honor you, Lord Jesus
And forever we will sing
Halleujah!
For you alone are worthy
And forever we will sing
Halleujah!
Halleujah!
Halleujah!
Halleujah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home