Observations from Afar

Saturday, July 22

About this Blog

I thought that I would take this opportunity to make a few comments about the blog so far. When I began my postings, I had in mind that I would be writing commentaries on issues and problems from a scholastic Christian point of view. However, as the days and postings continued, I found that I am really not all that interested in debates. I barely keep abreast of the local news, let alone current events and controversies.

Instead, I have noticed that my posts have turned into a "running commentary" on the current events that are my life, from an almost pastoral point of view. By this, I mean that I hope that others can gain insight and encouragement from the lessons that God has taught me. I truly care about people and love helping others, and I pray that somehow the frustrations and hardships and joys and accomplishments will somehow touch others and bring glory to God.

I think my whole experience in finding a job is a good analogy for this. When I first began looking for jobs, I had a decent resume, somewhat of an idea of the next job I wanted to find, and little else. I hadn't interviewed for a job in four years, and even that interview wasn't a "true" interview. However, through trial and error and sheer Divine intervention, I have become quite informed about (and dare I say good at) the whole interview process. I owe part of my new found "savvy" to the help of a recruiter who has been instrumental in preparing me and coaching me in the whole process. Also, I have read several books on resume writing, how to land those sought after positions, etc., being sure to do my part in the whole process.

I think this is the same as how we go through life. We are expected to do things for ourselves, to be always learning. But we also need the assistance of a "life coach." Lessons that we learn from such people are invaluable and potentially help us avert years of regret due to a poor decision. Taking this analogy further, the Christian life is much the same - we are expected to be reliant on God, the Ultimate Coach, always looking to Him for guidance and instruction. Our pastors, other Christian friends, parents, etc. also help to coach us and lead us down the right path. And we are also expected to put our faith into practice. We have to work too; we have to do our part.

And it is thus that I feel that my "musings" and commentaries can somehow help someone going through a similar situation. I hope that I can encourage you to keep going, no matter how dark the path seems. I hope that I can strengthen your faith, even when it seems as though there is little reason to believe. I hope that I can somehow impart some insight (and dare I say wisdom) into the confusion, uncertainty, and turmoil that is your situation. I hope that I can mirror Christ and bring glory to His name, and maybe even help bring someone to faith. Writing does not come easy for me, but if I accomplish any of these things, then it will all be worth it.

I don't know where this blog is heading, much like my life. I only pray that in the end, I will come through it all as pure gold. So, I guess this post reinforces where this all began a month ago...
MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
- Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"
© Abbey of Gethsemani

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home